Charts of Types of Polyphasic Schedules

Here is a chart of the types of polyphasic sleep schedules, as I’m aware of them so far. I personally have done Uberman for six months and Everyman (default / default-flexible) for almost three. By all means, please let me know what your experience is with any of these, or if you know of one I haven’t covered! Follow the cut for the tables (they’re big, so I’m keeping them off the main page for now). -PD

Name Number of Naps Length of Naps Equiphasic (equal naps)? Alternate Names Notes
Uberman 6 per 24 hours 15 – 20 minutes Yes equihexiphasic, ultraman, ubersleep, Da Vinci schedule Very strict time-based schedule; difficult but quick adaptation (2-4 weeks)
Dymaxion 4 per 24 hours 30 minutes Yes equipentaphasic, "dog napping" when done at relaxed / instinctive times Coined by Buckminster Fuller, was seen by doctors while doing this schedule for 2 years, experienced no negative effects.  NOTE: No modern successful adherents of this schedule are known to me.
Everyman varies varies No non-equiphasic, "core" polyphase, "roll-your-own" (see below) Varies from "strict Uberman with a core" to "relaxed polyphasic with reduced sleep"; known to have a longer adaptation (4+ weeks)
"Freerunning Sleep" varies varies No No known nicknames. Also no known adherents that I’ve been able to locate. Suggested by Dr. Piotr Wozniak. Requires that there be absolutely no artificial regulation of sleep-times and is thus probably the most difficult schedule to integrate with "real life".
Length of Core Number of Naps (20 min.) Name, if any
3 hours 4-5 "default" Everyman.  My schedule since July 2006.
1.5 hours 4-5 often combined with default to incorporate a "flexible core"
2 cores, 2-4 hours each 1-2 biphasic (note: feasibility under dispute, though "traditional biphasic", which involves one long sleep and one long "siesta" nap, is well known to  work and be beneficial.)
3 cores, 1, 1.5, or 2 hours each 0-1 triphasic (note: feasibility under dispute)
4 cores, 1 hour each 0-3 quadraphasic (note: feasibility under dispute)

This entry was posted in polyphasic sleep. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Charts of Types of Polyphasic Schedules

1. Jimmy Page says:

hey so my friends and I have a “winter science project” due after winter break. Now that basically means that we have to do a science fair project without the science fair part. So one of my friends found out about the Polyphasic sleep schedules and we all thought what a great idea it would be to do this! it would be perfect to do over winter break. The only problem we have is the project has to be and experiment that will answer a question. Now we wanted to follow the sleep schedule for a few weeks, but do not know what question to do. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks a lot ahead of time!

2. Sandra says:

Freerunning sleep is absolutely hell for me unless I have been on a strict sleep schedule for several months. I think Wozniak is very wrong to promote it and I’m bitter for all the time I have wasted trying it. The alarm clock is not my enemy. I am often way more groggy without it.

3. Raap!d says:

Thanks for the response.

I suppose all of the bad things were catching up with me. I have switched back to monophasic… for now. Turns out I’d need to move my schedule back an hour to fit in with exams, and I didn’t realise that it was equivalent to completely starting the schedule again. But god, I hate monophasic! Can’t wait until exams are over so I can go straight back =)

Raap!d

4. Raap!d says:

Hey again, thanks for the response!

I am actually a little worried. After I sent this I really got things moving with this polyphasic sleeping, and wasn’t making any mistakes. I felt like I was adapting!

… till one of my family members turned off my computer when I was napping! So instead of waking up at 1.30 I woke at 6 =( . Normally this wouldn’t be a problem (and I only slept for 5 hours, not my usual 9), but I have cut the polyphasic sleeping trial time too short, and I have exams starting in 4 days.

I know you aren’t really the one to judge, but should I keep going, or drop back into monophasic sleeping for this?

Oh, and, has anyone had negative benefits when monophasic sleeping after polyphasic? I woke up this morning with a bad cough, and feeling generally ill.

Thanks!

Hey Raap!d — Sounds like you may be better off quitting for a while, if you have exams coming up and can’t be zombied during them. Don’t feel bad though; planning the adaptation (and having it go as planned!) is one of the more challenging aspects of polyphasic sleep for most people. Pre-planning really helps, so if you need to take a break for your exams, I’d say use it to do as much planning for your next attempt as possible. Even I had to try twice, the second time I adapted! (And many of us do find monophasic uncomfortable after polyphase — sleeping that long begins to feel like hibernating — but I’ve never heard of it, by itself, making anyone sick. Perhaps lack of good diet during adaptation, or a bug you may have contracted recently, is only catching up with you now?)

5. Raap!d says:

Hey puredoxyk,

I’m Raap!d (Jimmi), and have been quite overwhelmed at your site regarding polyphasic sleep and all of its information (thank you!), it has been most useful. I was wondering if you had any good suggetions for waking up and not oversleeping (I seem to have trouble with this, I reset my alarm and go back to sleep).

Also, do you know anyone that has been going for over 2 weeks and hasn’t adjusted? I’ve been going for about 16 days now, and I’m starting to lose motivation.

Thanks!

Hey Raap!d (neat handle!) — if you’ve been going more than two weeks *without making mistakes* and you’re still not adapting, then something is definitely wrong with the schedule: either the nap-times aren’t working for you and need to be moved, or your diet or some other aspect of your lifestyle is keeping you from adjusting to the schedule. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, of course, when someone tells me they aren’t adapting, it’s because they keep oversleeping and not keeping to the schedule consistently, which will ruin your chances at adjusting 100% of the time. (Sounds like this is what’s happening, if you keep turning off your alarm and going back to sleep.) If there’s no obvious thing you can fix right now, and it’s still not getting easier, then I’d suggest a break to a) catch up on lost sleep and make sure you don’t train yourself to be used to having NO schedule, and b) do lots of research to try and figure out what went wrong and how to fix it next time. I’ve had to do that myself, so it’s not a crushingly big deal; it’s always better to back away and try a new tactic than to keep beating an exhausted horse, in my experience. ;)

As for tips on waking up, gah, they’re everywhere! Lots are sprinkled throughout this blog, and the Google Polyphasic Group is positively bursting with them. Also, though I’m not a Steve Pavlina fan overall, his idea for training yourself to leap out of bed when your alarm goes off (he describes it in his “learn to get up at 5a.m.” articles) is also a good idea.

Best of luck!
      PD

6. Justin says:

I’m on day two of Uberman w/ 15 minute naps! :D Naps at 3:30, 7:30, and 11:30 am and pm. I want to read your ubersleep book, but I’m 16 w/ no job and parents who won’t give me money for it… My birthday is on the 18th…. ;)

7. Richard says:

Hi there .
    Earlier today I posted a question on your blog (how long you had kept to your schedule) – which I later discovered had been answered (several times) elsewhere on your site. Thanks for taking the time to write all this information – and apologies for posting from the hip before reading enough of it.

8. Pingback: Uberman too wussy for you? Try Tesla! | *Transcendental *Logic

9. Sharif says:

Thanks. :) Going on six weeks now.

There’s a little info about this pattern (which I’m calling Tesla) here: http://tesser.org/sleep/teslapattern

Sharif

10. puredoxyk says:

Hey Sharif — Holy craptonite, that’s hardcore! How long have you been adapted? If you’d care to comment with, or email me with, more details, I’d love to read them.

::fistbump::,
    PD

11. Sharif says:

Wanted to let you know about one additional pattern, with at least one successful adherent – 20 minute naps every six hours, 80 minutes total per day. I combined Uberman and Dymaxion in order to fit in with school after reading your critique of the proposed “Batman” schedule. Adjustment was, in a word, hell – but I’m fully adapted, feeling fantastic, so it seems to be workable.

12. Aximilation says:

Cool, I haven’t seen this page for a while, I like what you did to organize everything! To any that are interested, I found a good graphical diagram of sleep schedules on: http://polyphasiclife.com, worth checking out.

13. puredoxyk says:

Tricky question. Usually, I/we say to use the same schedule all the time, since it makes adapting much easier. On the other hand, many people are used to having a different schedule 2 days a week. Then again, you’re not talking about doing this on a weekend, but rather on Mon and Wed, which would probably be harder to get used to.

As long as your uneven schedule doesn’t get *too* uneven, I’d say keep it, steadily, rather than switch around.

Let us know how it goes!
    PD

14. jon says:

hi does this schedule look OK ?

22.20-22.40

—06.20— time between breaks

05.00-09.30

—07.00—

16.30-16.50

—05.10—

i can get the schedule more evenly spread out but that would mean i would have to have two different schedules the one above for Monday and wednesday and this one for the rest of the days,

22.20-22.40

—06.20—

05.00-09.30

—06.10—

15.40-16.00

—06.00—

so which is better use the uneven one all the time or use an even one for 5 days a week and the uneven one for the rest of the time?

15. Marshall says:

Yeah… chimps and apes. All land mammals have some form of Wazniak’s suggested sleep cycle. I’m not sure about ocean mammals entirely but due to their need to resurface constantly (2-4 hour stretches at max) would indicate such a schedule as well.

16. puredoxyk says:

Heh, good point! Also upholds the statement that freerunning sleep is probably Not For Humans — do YOU know any two-leggers who can relax like a cat?? ;)

17. Maarburg says:

If you need an example of Free running sleep adapters…

I offer my house cat.