Sleep Drugs?

Hey, folks.

This morning I started on the "Sleep Drugs" appendix of the Ubersleep book.  Now, I don’t know much of anything about the usual sleep drugs, since I’ve managed to avoid them all my life (with no small help from my polyphasic schedule).  But I am going to do a bit on Modafinil (Provigil), since it’s a different class of substance than sleep-inducing narcotics or normal stimulants, and I can see that particular class of drugs having a huge effect on how people sleep — and possibly how they transition into and/or maintain a polyphasic schedule.

My question to you is, is there any particular information on the topic of sleep-related drugs that you’d like to see me cover, Modafinil-related or otherwise?  Speak now or forever hold your peas!

-pd

This entry was posted in drugs, polyphasic sleep. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Sleep Drugs?

1. live3arth says:

HI puredoxyk, any update on the modafinil? I've been interested in it for a while but haven't come in contact with it. I've always considered it in class with the nootropics though (piracetam, hydergine, etc) – although the label use is of course "anti-sleep." The nootropics I've had certainly don't permit easy sleep; more of an up-longer thing. Modafinil is exciting because it supposedly does not have this effect (as I'm sure you're aware of…).

As for melatonin it has always left me feeling a little groggy the next day.

2. Hazzy says:

Let me preface this by saying I haven’t actually adapted to Everyman. I’m in law school, work 20-25 hours a week at a law firm and like to go out on the weekends (and some on week days). Because of this I’ve never gotten past 5 days of attempting to adapt to the everyman schedule (and a little laziness).

I’ve read through all of your polyphasic sleep related posts and for the time being I’ve been sleeping anywhere from 4-6 hours at night w/ 1-3 naps a day. It’s more of a lazy-Everyman schedule. I guess you could call it “Everyman-lite.” The good thing about this is that I haven’t had any adaption period to fight through (and it’s seems quite flexible). I more or less structure my sleep around when and what I have to get done.

Concerning melatonin: I use melatonin every once in a while if I have trouble going to sleep at a reasonable time (or want to go to sleep fairly fast). Ex: In the past (before I started taking naps very often), I would have trouble going to sleep on Sunday nights because I would go out on Thurs, Fri, Sat nights and sleep late on those respective days. Melatonin would help me go to sleep at a normal time.

Melatonin and polyphasic sleep: This might help with the adaptation period. For instance, I’ve had some trouble keeping a concrete schedule when I try to cut my sleep down to a 3 hour core. I’m not always tired when I should start the core. Like I said, melatonin seems to help me get to sleep faster, which would help with keeping a schedule.

Note: I like the GNC brand of melatonin because it’s sublingual (you just but it under your tongue). This seems to allow it to absorb much faster and you don’t need to take as large of a dose. Also, I don’t know how long melatonin stays in your system. But, I think I read along the lines of it dissipating with light (like in the mornings). Obviously it would be counterintuitive if melatonin stays in your system for longer than 3 hours though.

Thanks!

3. Matthew says:

I was on Everyman for all of january before catching a monster cold and had to go monophasic again. I trying to readjust back to everyman again right now.

I never had a prescription for modafinil. I just ordered mine overseas before it was scheduled. Now I have use adrafinil instead. It is metabolized into modafinil by the body so it’s effects are the same.

When I used modafinil when I was sleeping monophasiclly I was able to nap pretty much at will. These naps were never more than a half hour when I know I would have slept for hours without the modafinil. So I suspect it interferes with sleep beyond just removing the ill effects of sleep deprivation.

4. puredoxyk says:

Thanks, guys! Hazzy, I may very well mention melatonin, but I guess I don’t really consider it a “drug”. I’ve used it before and, while very mild, it does seem to help. Got anything to add to that?

Matthew, how long have you been on Everyman? Do you still use Modafinil at all? Would you recommend it for others? How did you get a prescription for it (because of your shift, or for another reason)? And what makes you think it would interfere with REM — did you experience poor sleep or a lack of dreams when you were on it?

Thanks very much!

5. Matthew says:

Being a third shifter, I found modafinil to be a huge help when I had to deal with things in the morning. When I was adapting to the every man schedule I had a 7 hour stretch between my 3rd nap and core sleep due to my job. Modafinil kept me from becoming zombified during that time.

I never had a problem with falling asleep when I was on Modafinil, I think it would likely interfere with entering REM sleep.

6. Hazzy says: