ZEO FTW: Free new app sees polyphasic naps, improves privacy

We don’t believe folks like Steve Jobs who claim “Open systems don’t always win.” We don’t believe that it’s ethical for body measuring companies to block users access to their information.  We don’t believe that Zeo shouldn’t be ripped open and hacked–hell, do that and we may just give you a job.

We do believe that you own your data, can take your data with you, and get to decide what to do with it.  We believe that you should be able to hack your SD Card data and get at your raw brainwaves. We believe in the power of open source software that anyone can modify to their own needs.  And we believe in our users ability to set us straight when we go off course.

From "Privacy Activists Rejoice, ZeoDecoderViewer is in Alpha!"

Yaaaaay, Zeo!  I love when a company I've raved about does rave-worthy things after the fact, thus making me look either smart or psychic.

To clarify all the ways in which this is awesome:

• The ZeoDecoderViewer can process & show polyphasic nap data!
  • It's free!
  • It lets you see your sleep data on your own computer, without uploading it to the Zeo website!
  • It's exactly the kind of thing most electronics companies refuse to do, because they want to "lock customers in" instead of giving them what they want!

Nice work, Zeo!  I really hope I get time to try this soon…if any of you do, please drop a comment & let me know what you think?

Thanks!

Word addict, kungfu/taiji nut and lifelong autohacker ... successful Ubersleeper, shoeless winters, medication-free anti-depressants, and as many hobbies as the world will let me pry into its piddly fourth dimension ... give me vitality or give me death!
This entry was posted in consumer warfare, fair use / IP, polyphasic sleep. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to ZEO FTW: Free new app sees polyphasic naps, improves privacy

1. Greg K says:

"I sometimes wonder if I’m going to hit 60 and all of a sudden waste away into a shivery little ball of crazy" – me too, but I've been on Everyman for 1 month now, and it might just be my brain fooling me to go back to sleeping at night. :-)
    I took an IQ test recently, and noticed a HUGE drop from my usual score in the area of computational speed. I think slower now. A LOT. As in 87 A LOT, that's below average person, considering that my other scores are at or above 150. Still hoping it's an adjustment period. I have missed a few naps… Hard not to do with 2 kids and a full time job. Need to get back on track. Will take another one in a month or so, and see how I do then.
    It's also rather hard to focus. When I do – I'm unstoppable, but it's harder to achieve now than it was before.
    On the flip side, I got more done in a month than I've done in a year leading to it. My wife no longer does laundry or dishes or cleans kids' toys, and I get time to walk the dog, read books, and hit the gym all before going to work at 8:30. Thanks for laying the groundwork for the rest of us to walk in your footsteps! You DO deserve an honorary degree.
    P.S.: Your book was not only hugely educational, but a very entertaining read. Highly recommend everyone to go get a copy. Best $8 I ever spent. :-) (I own a laser printer, don't hate the guy for knowing how to print a PDF)

Thanks, Greg! On Everyman, 1 month in is definitely still in the middle of adaptation (it’s one of the downsides of the more-flexible Everyman vs. Uberman; the former takes 2-3 times as long to fully adjust to in my experience) — but good job doing the tests, and please do them again and let me know what you find. Computational speed isn’t something I’d test in myself, because I still need a calculator to add two-digit numbers on a good day. ;)

I hear you, LOUD AND CLEAR, about how hard it is not to miss naps with the kids and jobs and everything…the only comfort to me is that I’d be missing sleep anyway, and at least this way I still have more time (missing 2 naps = 6.5 hours sleep total to feel rested) than I would on a monophasic schedule (missing 2 hours sleep = 6.5 hours and tired as hell). Hence why I keep my Everyman schedule on even when I can’t do it perfectly, now…it’s not like if I don’t have time for my naps, I’m going to have time for a full night’s sleep either. (Not true for everyone, I hasten to add, but definitely for me.)

And good for you and your printer! That’s why I offered the PDF; being crafty ought to have rewards.

Thanks for the comment! –PD

2. Dragos240 says:

I realize that this post isn't the newest, however, Zeo is a very cool little device. If you DO get it, please post back the results, it'd be very interesting to see how a normal person sleeps compared to a polyphasic sleeper. I am currently on a schedule :), I hope to adapt as well!

3. Greg K. says:

P.S.: You once posted a tip on falling asleep while it's still dark, and getting up with the light. I have 2 additional tips for that. (a) soft tissue behind your knees is also light sensitive. If bright light hits the back of your knees, you will wake up. (b) Best way to know exactly the time of sunrise tomorrow in your area is to use Wolfram Alpha. :-) http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sunrise+tomorrow+in+new+york%2C+ny

Hi, Greg! I think it’ll take quite a bit of long-term research to say whether it’s best to be polyphasic for a while and then switch back, or if it’s ok/better to just do it long-term. For my part, I notice a definite improvement in my thinking when I’m polyphasic *and getting my naps* vs. when I’m monophasic — but if I’m polyphasic and miss naps, my abilities deteriorate more quickly than they do when I’m monophasic and miss sleep.

I’m not a sleep scientist, though I suppose I could be convinced to accept an honorary minor title in that area, but I suspect that sleep is used by the body for many things, growth and repair being two. Sleep is a process, though, like defragging a hard drive, and I think it’s reasonable to assume that there are more and less efficient ways to move through that process, and that perhaps polyphasic sleep is a more efficient system of running that process than snozzing out for 1/3 of every day. I certainly haven’t noticed, over the half-decade of my life that I’ve been polyphasic, any decrease in my energy, muscle repair, or mental abilities that would lead me to believe that being polyphasic is “costing” me, i.e. that I’m only running partial defrags. ;) It’s still possible that I’m losing a very tiny bit, and that accumulated over time it will show up — I sometimes wonder if I’m going to hit 60 and all of a sudden waste away into a shivery little ball of crazy, and then the whole world will know that polyphasic sleep is a horrible insidious evil — but personally, speaking as the experimenter, I seriously doubt it.

Thanks for the comments!
      PD

4. Greg K. says:

Hi Pk,
    I'm a long time admirer, bought your book, and celebrated 1 week on Everyman yesterday with, what I'd like to think was good success, since I was practically fully adjusted. The big family reunion put a dent into my adjustment, but I'm sure 1-2 more days of being on track and I'll feel good once more.
    I was hoping you can answer a rather concerning question for me from your 4 years of experience on Everyman. Do you feel any different after some time on a hybernation routine vs some time on Everyman (after adjustment) in terms of alertness, memory, ability to learn?
    From all of my reading and research, I learned that deep and REM sleep are not missed or one replaced for another, but rather the body gets the type of the sleep that it needs in available periods, potentially even cycling through several types even within the scope of 20 mins. So I simply deduced that the increased efficiency comes from cutting out of the bulk of light sleep times.
    And then I see this article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110308124748.htm
    Do you think polyphasers are just being more efficient, or do you think there are lasting effects of being on polyphasic sleep, and it should be used as a tool (like going on it for 6-12 months to finish a project or write a book), and then switch back to regain some health in hybernation? After all, if adults get less and less deep sleep over time, with seniors getting almost none (very little), perhaps we only have so much total capacity to "repair" and renew our body. If we take out 5 years of that restoration, and then the body won't be able to produce more deep sleep anyway, then are we in fact shortening our lifespan?
    -Greg

5. Superfine says:

Also, message me back by this week. I need to know before this Friday, the day I must succumb to Everyman.

Hey Superfine — I’ve answered this in a million different little places, but it really needed its own post, so I finally wrote one. It’ll be up tomorrow (Thursday) morning. Thanks for the comments! -PD

6. Superfine says:

Puredoxyk, I want to know how polyphasic sleep would be on me, a sixteen-year old. Would it tamper with my growing body. PLEASE message me back at my email, and possibly, give me your email address. I could be able to to fit Everyman 3 with school.