Sign up for (occasional, useful) CCW announcements!
Communism, capitalism, socialism, whatever: we’ve never yet had any economic system that recognizes that we have to live on a living planet. Plankton and jungles make the air we breathe, but they have no place at our counting-house.— Bruce Sterling
- Highlights from “Self Reliance”
- 1. go out 2. go in 3. prophet
- Everything I Need To Know I Learned From Napping
- The Five Higher Laws
- Self Esteem for Smart People (Part 1)
- What’s so Dumb about Self-Help?
- Self Esteem for Smart People (Part 2)
- Self Esteem for Smart People (Part 3)
- God is Totally Naked
- The Problems with Farming Detroit
- Taking & Letting Go
- Logic vs. Depression: FIGHT!
- We Are Humanity (a Shaolin Prayer)
- Something Shakespeare Forgot
- Not Why I Hate Religion
- Stuck Embodied: Lessons in Exercise
- Buddha teaches the Internet: How to correct someone and not be an asshole
- How to Not Go Crazy
- Synthesis & Time Travel Advice
- This Is A Dark Age
- Art vs Liking It
- Religion & the Bechdel Test
- A Path that Diverges Eight Ways
- A Roundup of the Best Writing Advice
- Execute the cold virus(es)!
- You too can be an asshole
Category Archives: science!
I've learned three really cool new phrases lately, in my studies of the nature of void! (shut up, we've all got hobbies) 1. Spacetime foam: The term for what space and time look like on a quantum (teeeeeeeeny) level, such … Continue reading
So one time this culture discovered that a readily-available plant had a really tasty component, and they began harvesting, and then cultivating and later, processing and refining and making all kinds of analogs and variations on the tasty stuff. Everyone … Continue reading
This has been out a little while, but I just got around to watching it, and HOLY CRAP MY FAVORITE MUSIC THING EVER. You need to a flashplayer enabled browser to view this YouTube video So, A) I'm in … Continue reading
This is what I get for surfing at four a.m. apparently: A really nice, long, juicy article about why we sleep! It tackles some new research and proposes a sort-of-new conclusion, too. Good read! It's always nice to be reminded why … Continue reading
In my stumblings today, I wound up watching this Nova episode on Richard Feynman: [youtube=http://youtu.be/Mn4_40hAAr0&w=425] Now, this is partly notable because I'd been pretty sure there wasn't much on Feynman that I hadn't seen or read already. I'm a … Continue reading
::clapclapclapclapclap:: Stars from Space [HD video, really worth your time to let load, hit fullscreen, sit back and get ready to grin like a maniac]
Well, either I bit my lip or something in the night (possible), or I have a real honest-to-Pete cold sore coming on. ::stifles panic:: Now, I know that cold sores are normal — they're expressions of Herpes Simplex 1, which … Continue reading
I thought this made for a nice quick "Oh! Huh" kind of moment — not that the points below can't be argued (haha what fun are things that can't be argued, right?) but it is fun to think about in … Continue reading